This is a great week night dish or double the recipe and invite friends and serve with skillets of cornbread and beer. Mike Gonce says if you double it to cook it in a 7-quart Dutch oven. I must confess, I cooked this in a regular pot. I enjoyed this without the cheese and tortilla chips, and it was still terrific. Recipe courtesy of The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small cubes
- 45 ounces great northern beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (or 2 tsp dried cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chicken broth (optional)
- monterey jack cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- 3Stir in the chicken, beans, cilantro, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper and simmer 30 minutes.
- 4If you like, you can add chicken broth as you prefer.
- 5Ladle the chili into bowls and sprinkle each serving with cheese and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tennessee White Chili
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 174.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 37.9 g