Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great week night dish or double the recipe and invite friends and serve with skillets of cornbread and beer. Mike Gonce says if you double it to cook it in a 7-quart Dutch oven. I must confess, I cooked this in a regular pot. I enjoyed this without the cheese and tortilla chips, and it was still terrific. Recipe courtesy of The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small cubes
- 45 ounces great northern beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (or 2 tsp dried cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chicken broth (optional)
- monterey jack cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in the chicken, beans, cilantro, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper and simmer 30 minutes.
- If you like, you can add chicken broth as you prefer.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and sprinkle each serving with cheese and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.