Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Allgood
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool enough to handle; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown the beef and onions in the pan drippings.
- Cook until no pink remains in the beef, around 9 minutes; drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef mixture, pork and beans, kidney beans, lima beans, brown sugar, ketchup and barbecue sauce.
- Mix thoroughly but gently.
- Transfer to the prepared dish and top with the bacon.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm.