Recipe by Baby Chevelle
This is a recipe by Dinah Shore. I got it many years ago. It is a very different Lasagna than what I was making, and a nice change of pace. It's not what you were expecting in a lasagna
Top Review by linguinelisa
Thanks so much for posting this recipe.........I found it many years ago in an old cookbook. Tennessee Lasagna is a great comfort-food casserole to serve any time, but especially on chilly nights. That Dinah shore was a great cook and wonderful personality.
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash oregano
- 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare macaroni as directed on package.
- For Sauce:.
- Brown onion and garlic in oil; add celery and green pepper. Cook until softened. Remove from pan.
- Add ground beef to pan and brown well. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, pinch oregano, mushrooms, and then onion mixture. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer low for 1 hour, or until sauce blends.
- In a large casserole dish, assemble by putting a layer of cooked macaroni; dot with butter, add 1/2 of cheese cubes, and then layer of sauce. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Then add another layer of macaroni, butter and cheese cubes.
- Finish with a layer of sauce;top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted inside and dish is thoroughly heated.
- This can be prepared ahead.