Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Dirty South Cookbook.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine (Earth Balance is good)
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup soy buttermilk (1/2 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tsp. vinegar)
- Cream together sugar and margarine.
- Add jam, vanilla, soy yogurt, and egg replacer mixed with water. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Add thus to sugar mixture alternately with soy buttermilk and stir well.
- Pour into greased and floured 9" pans, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- I usually frost this with a coconut-pecan frosting, which is just caramelized sugar and margarine mixed with shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and powdered sugar.