Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is good for those of you who don't like mayonnaise in coleslaw. You could certainly use the packaged pre-shredded cole slaw mix.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 lbs cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and celery seed. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Stir well.
- Layer green peppers, cabbage, and onions in a glass bowl. Pour dressing over all. Cover. Refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
This was great. I tried using splenda instead of sugar but it seized up on me and separated, so I tried again with sugar. I found if I whisked it while it was cooling it didn't separate. I will use this as my standard coleslaw recipe now. Thanks for posting
I followed Sugarpea's recommenation and used 1/4 cup sugar. Turned out perfect for us. Nice change from mayo based slaw. In my keeper file! Thanks.
This should be in a classic manual on how to fix coleslaw-it is the perfect slaw,i usuallt try 1-or 2 new ones every week cause it's my favorite food,and I dont believe there is one to ever compare with this one.Thanks for posting.Wish I could give it more than 5 stars.We love this and all our guest requests this.Put it in a contest,it will win.I believe ,bringing it to a boil in saucepan is crucial key to recipe.Thanks again.