1/1 Photo of Tendir Choreyi (Azerbaijan)
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from week 18 of my food blog, Travel by Stove. I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Azerbaijan is my 18th stop. This tandoori bread recipe comes from Feride, who blogs at AZCookbook.com. Of course you can never really duplicate a recipe like this without a tandoori oven, but this bread is still pretty tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the yeast with the water and let stand for a few minutes. Then sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Gradually add the water and yeast and mix with your hand until the dough forms a ball.
- 2Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes, or until it is smooth. Put it in a large bowl and cover, then let it rise in a warm spot until doubled (this typically takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- 3Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Stretch the dough until it is an oblong shape, then with a rolling pin roll it until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Transfer to a greased or non-stick baking sheet and let stand for another 15 minutes.
- 4Cut crosshatches in the top of the dough, about four in either direction. Brush with the beaten egg yolk (I mixed mine with a little bit of water to make it easier to work with) and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 5Bake in a preheated oven at about 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden on top.
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tendir Choreyi (Azerbaijan)
Serving Size: 1 (764 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1458.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.0 mg
- Sodium 2356.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 291.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 45.3 g