Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was great! Good for a dinner party or just a casual get together... Be sure to serve LOTS of Cornona!!!
- 4 -6 assorted colored corn tortillas (in small strips)
- canola oil (as needed)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 avocados (pitted, peeled, chopped)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (minced)
- 1⁄2 small onion (minced)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles
- 1⁄2 large onion (chunked)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 tomatoes (seeded, halved)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (2 inches thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup manchego cheese (shredded)
- cilantro (minced)
- Prepare tortillas.
- Heat a little oil in a deep skillet. Fry tortillas until golden. Remove to paper towels. Season. Repeat until all are cooked. Set aside.
- Combine the avocado, bell pepper, onion lime and salt and pepper. Chill until needed.
- Toast chilies in a dry skillet until charred. Remove. Tear and seed.
- Heat broiler.
- In a skillet combine the onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Place under broiler for 15 minutes or until well charred.
- Plce on stove over high heat. Add stock. Deglaze.
- Place in a food processor. Add chilies. Puree until smooth. Season. Set aside. Clean out skillet.
- Season steaks.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add steaks. Sear 3 minutes each side or according to taste. Remove. Place on a plate. Keep warm.
- To skillet add chili puree and sugar. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Return steaks to pan. Re-heat and coat well.
- Place some sauce on plates. Top with a steak and avocado mix, cheese and cilantro.
- Surround with chips.