Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of our favorite Asian dishes. It's simple and we love it served over the sauteed onions. This recipe is from the Chinese Cooking Class cookbook. Time includes the marinating time.
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- Remove and discard fat from meat. Cut meat across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine next 8 ingredients. Mix in meat. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours.
- Heat oil in wok over high heat. Stir-fry onions in the oil until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer onions to serving plate. Keep warm.
- Add about 1/3 of the meat to wok, spreading out slices so they do not overlap. Cook slices on each side just until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove meat from pan and arrange over onion slices. Repeat twice to cook remaining meat.