Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Slightly modified from an old "Texas" cookbook I've had for years....but it does make one delicious pie!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (frozen or refrigerated)
- 4 cups sliced tart apples, granny smith or other good baking apple (at least 4 cups!)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Sprinkle half of this mixture over the unbaked pie shell.
- Pare and slice the apples.
- Fill the pie shell with them, mounding slightly in the center.
- Sprinkle the apples with the remaining sugar mixture.
- Pour the heavy cream over all.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake about 40 minutes longer.
- Can be served hot or cold, and is especially good with a scoop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla!
This pie was delicious! It reminded me of the baked apples my Mom used to make. It was so easy to prepare. Thanks Loren Lou for such a great recipe.