Recipe by Mary Scheffert
I acquired this handwritten recipe on a tattered piece of paper, from my late mother-in-law. I never had the privilege of meeting her, but she must have been an awesome cook. This has become my favorite cornbread recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted & cooled
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg till thickened; add water to the egg.
- Add to dry ingredients& mix till just combined.
- Add butter, and stir gently to blend.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan- bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.