This chicken is filled with mushrooms, onions, spinach, and garlic. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes.
- 2 (3/4 lb) chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic for 4 minutes. Add spinach and wine cook until wine is evaporated.
- Season with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper and allow to cool.
- Place chicken between plastic wrap and pound thin.
- Season both sides of breast with salt and pepper.
- Add egg to stuffing and place half the stuffing in each breast.
- Fold over to encase stuffing and tie with butcher's twine to hold the stuffing in place.
- Dredge each of the chicken breast with the flour.
- Heat butter and the last 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Brown chicken on all sides 5-10 minutes.
- Place into a hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove string before serving.
This was delicious and so easy to make! Next time I plan to follow what a previous reviewer said and will layer with proscuitto and cheese.
The filling was a little loose with the addition of the egg, so I added a little bit of fresh breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, and that took care of it. Otherwise, followed the recipe and it turned out great.
Agreed..this was fantastic! I followed the recipe except I added fresh parmesan cheese before closing it. I also was skeptical about the 'flour only' batter..so I dredged in egg and then flour....deliously moist. Definite keeper and the sauce is a must!!! you and look up marsala sauce in recipezaar and it goes great with this!!!