Recipe by Sue Lau
Just a taste of springtime from your oven. A very simple dish, beautifully prepared. Will go excellently with a variety of dishes.
Top Review by Garden Gate Kate
I used whole carrots cut in one inch pieces for baby carrots and regular turnips for Japanese turnips. Everything roasted simultaneously to perfection...the carrots and turnips became tender and golden while the whole garlic cloves caramelized to be creamy and sweet. Thank you, Sue Lau, for a fantastic fix-it-and-forget-it side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs japanese turnips (also called kabu; trimmed and quartered; or may use standard turnips cut into 3/4 inch pieces)
- 1 lb whole baby carrots, tops removed and scrubbed
- 20 cloves peeled garlic
- 6 -8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and oil lightly.
- Toss turnips, carrots, garlic cloves, thyme, salt and pepper with olive oil until evenly coated.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake/roast at 400 for 35-40 minutes or until your vegetables are tender and caramelized, being careful to watch as time nears, as your veggies may get done at different times due to size.
- Serve hot.