Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the only way we eat roast at our house. Makes a very tender roast and very flavorful vegetables.
- 2 lbs boneless bottom round roast or 2 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 oven cooking bag
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 8 baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Place beef in a shallow roasting pan.
- Sprinkle beef with lemon juice; pierce with a fork.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to roast.
- Preheat oven to to 350°F.
- Prepare beef in oven cooking bag according to package directions.
- Return to roasting pan.
- Arrange carrots, onions, and potatoes around beef.
- Top with celery and pepper.
- Sprinkle beef with garlic, mustard and thyme.
- Pour tomato juice around beef in cooking bag.
- Seal bag shut; cut slits.
- Roast for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Remove beef from bag.
- Let stand covered for about 10 minutes; cut into slices, serve with vegetables.
This recipe is great! I can't believe no one has reviewed it. Not only is it delicious, it's gluten free for hubby, easy as heck, and you have almost no dishes to wash. A fork, a knife, a cutting board, and a measuring cup. And you get to skip the whole step of browning the roast first. Who likes to stand in front of a hot stove frying a big hunk of meat? Thanks for posting! Additional info: this recipe is gluten free if you use a gluten free alternative flour such as white rice flour to sprinkle into the cooking bag.