1/6 Photos of Tender Pot Roast
4 hrs 10 mins
This is a sure fire method of making a tender pot roast every time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77-1814.36 g chuck roast, trimmed
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml carrot, chopped
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml chicken stock (or a combination) or 473.18 ml beef stock (or a combination)
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 sprig thyme
- 59.14 ml dry red wine
- 1Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Season roast with salt and pepper on all sides.
- 3In a large dutch oven heat oil, over a medium high heat, do not allow to smoke.
- 4Brown meat on all sides in dutch oven, this should take about 10 minutes.
- 5If at any time the oil starts to smoke remove from heat, lower the temperature and continue cooking.
- 6Once browned remove meat from pot and place on a deep plate (to catch the juices).
- 7Add vegetables to dutch oven, stirring often, cook until lightly browned and tender.
- 8Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 9Add stock, bring to a boil and stir/scrape until all the brown bits are removed from the bottom of the pan.
- 10Add red wine and sugar. Allow to boil until alcohol smell is gone, put thyme, meat and accumulated juices back in pan.
- 11Add water until liquid comes halfway up sides of the meat.
- 12Bring to a simmer, cover with a large piece of foil and the pan lid (to assure seal).
- 13Place in oven, be sure to turn the meat over every 30 minutes or so.
- 14Cook until fork tender, 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours (meat needs to remain above 200 degrees F. for 30 minutes).
- 15Remove meat from pan onto serving plate, cover with foil.
- 16Place dutch oven back on stove; boil till liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups or so (about 15 mins).
- 17Thicken if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tender Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.0
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 328.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 50.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: