This is a sure fire method of making a tender pot roast every time.
Make and share this Tender Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season roast with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil, over a medium high heat, do not allow to smoke.
- Brown meat on all sides in dutch oven, this should take about 10 minutes.
- If at any time the oil starts to smoke remove from heat, lower the temperature and continue cooking.
- Once browned remove meat from pot and place on a deep plate (to catch the juices).
- Add vegetables to dutch oven, stirring often, cook until lightly browned and tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and stir/scrape until all the brown bits are removed from the bottom of the pan.
- Add red wine and sugar. Allow to boil until alcohol smell is gone, put thyme, meat and accumulated juices back in pan.
- Add water until liquid comes halfway up sides of the meat.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a large piece of foil and the pan lid (to assure seal).
- Place in oven, be sure to turn the meat over every 30 minutes or so.
- Cook until fork tender, 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours (meat needs to remain above 200 degrees F. for 30 minutes).
- Remove meat from pan onto serving plate, cover with foil.
- Place dutch oven back on stove; boil till liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups or so (about 15 mins).
- Thicken if desired.