Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a sure fire method of making a tender pot roast every time.
Make and share this Tender Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season roast with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil, over a medium high heat, do not allow to smoke.
- Brown meat on all sides in dutch oven, this should take about 10 minutes.
- If at any time the oil starts to smoke remove from heat, lower the temperature and continue cooking.
- Once browned remove meat from pot and place on a deep plate (to catch the juices).
- Add vegetables to dutch oven, stirring often, cook until lightly browned and tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and stir/scrape until all the brown bits are removed from the bottom of the pan.
- Add red wine and sugar. Allow to boil until alcohol smell is gone, put thyme, meat and accumulated juices back in pan.
- Add water until liquid comes halfway up sides of the meat.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a large piece of foil and the pan lid (to assure seal).
- Place in oven, be sure to turn the meat over every 30 minutes or so.
- Cook until fork tender, 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours (meat needs to remain above 200 degrees F. for 30 minutes).
- Remove meat from pan onto serving plate, cover with foil.
- Place dutch oven back on stove; boil till liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups or so (about 15 mins).
- Thicken if desired.
Was looking for a different way to do pot roast than my usual way and so had this for dinner tonight...it was superb! The roast was falling-apart tender and the flavour was outstanding. Made a couple of minor changes: my celery was way past its prime so I just added extra carrots, and I had a bit of a heavy hand with the wine and so used about 1/2 cup; also used dried thyme instead of fresh. The other different thing I did was to puree the veggies after the roast was done and add that puree into the juices, which I boiled and then thickened into a delicious gravy. Thanks Steve; I'll definitely make this easy recipe again.
This pot roast recipe delivered the most flavorful and tender pot roast I have ever made. It was truly the perfect choice for the first meal made in my new home to break in my new kitchen! I followed the recipe exactly and thickened the reduced juices to use as gravy for the mashed potatoes I made to accompany the roast. Truly a pot roast lovers ideal roast! Thanks, Steve for another excellent recipe!
At last a tender pot roast! A heavenly roast angels should experience. Nothing complicated, simple prepareation and excellent results.