Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
How To Get Tender Pork Chops (Chinese Method). This helps to tenderize chops for use in other recipes. Overnight soak is not included in times.
- If you use thinner chops, use less than 1 Tbs per chop. Also, make sure there is enough water to cover them, using a deeper dish rather than a shallow one.
- Place meat in a dish and cover with water. Remove meat and stir roughly 4 level Tbs of baking soda into the water.
- Put meat back in and soak (in refrigerator) overnight.
- Rinse THOROUGHLY and cook.
- Oriental restaurants have been using this for years.
- They can offer cuts of lesser quality as prime pieces.
In retrospect, there was an aftertaste that I just cannot forget.....too much baking soda totally destroys the chop flavor and I had to, unfortunately, dispose of the chops, although they were beautifully brown and tender.
I got the promised results with this recipe. After they soaked overnight, I breaded them, browned them on the stovetop and then baked them at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. My pork chops have always been so dry but these were delicious. I'm so happy to have a recipe that I can feel confident using to produce tender pork chops. Thank you, Nana Lee, for adding this to Recipezaar.