Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had trouble with yellow cakes coming out mealy and dry, (like a dry, oily cornbread texture) then I found this recipe in July 2008 Gourmet magazine. It's simple, easy, and the texture is, well, like cake ought to be - moist and tender. All that and delicious too! Don't over beat or it will be tough and try to start out with the ingredients at or near room temperature. Of course, you can make this into cupcakes or 13 x 9, just adjust the baking time. It's done when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. I'll never go back to the box mixes!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter two round 9 inch cake pans, line bottom with parchment paper and butter again.
- Mix together flour baking powder, soda, and salt - Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low, mix in buttermilk until just combined.
- Add flour mixture in three parts, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- Don't over mix!
- Spread batter in pans and rap on pan a time or two to remove bubbles.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes at 350 (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).