Pam in the Kitchen's Note:
I had trouble with yellow cakes coming out mealy and dry, (like a dry, oily cornbread texture) then I found this recipe in July 2008 Gourmet magazine. It's simple, easy, and the texture is, well, like cake ought to be - moist and tender. All that and delicious too! Don't over beat or it will be tough and try to start out with the ingredients at or near room temperature. Of course, you can make this into cupcakes or 13 x 9, just adjust the baking time. It's done when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. I'll never go back to the box mixes!
My Private Note
Two lay ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Butter two round 9 inch cake pans, line bottom with parchment paper and butter again.
- 3Mix together flour baking powder, soda, and salt - Set aside.
- 4Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- 5Beat in vanilla.
- 6Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7With mixer on low, mix in buttermilk until just combined.
- 8Add flour mixture in three parts, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- 9Don't over mix!
- 10Spread batter in pans and rap on pan a time or two to remove bubbles.
- 11Bake 35 - 40 minutes at 350 (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tender, Moist Yellow Cake from Scratch.
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.5
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 534.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g