Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wonderful lemon flavoured refrigerator cookies with a tart lemon frosting. So tender they melt in your mouth.
- Cookies Combine all cookie ingredients in large bowl and beat at low speed (3 minutes), until well mixed.
- Shape cookie dough into two 8 x 1" rolls.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut cookie rolls into 1/4" slices.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8- 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven immediately and cool completely.
- Tart Lemon Frosting Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Dip cooled cookies in frosting.
- Edited to add: If you find the frosting is too thick, add liquid of your choice a little at a time, until you have the constinency you desire. (lemon juice, water, milk).
Lovely little cookies with amazing frosting. Very fragile, but if eaten with proper respect, also very wonderful. Made for OZ/NZ swap October 2008.
I followed the recipe to the 'T'. Love the lemony flavor, however the cookies were so tender they fell apart if you didn't eat them whole. I too had problems getting them to stick together, so used my hands with dampened with lemon juice. Once they were cold they sliced nicely.
Yum. Considering Kittencal's review I used a heaping 1/3rd of a cup of powdered sugar. I also used a finely milled whole wheat pastry flour to up the fiber just a tad. This is like a lovely lemon shortbread cookie. The only issue I had was that the icing amount wasn't nearly enough for us and I had to double it. There was no way I could dip the cookies into the icing because it was too thick. So I had to spoon it on and spread it out, which takes more icing. Oh well, we loved them anyway! Thanks so much!