Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Whenever I prepare this crock-pot dish the "F" word comes to mind ...FLAVORFUL! The porkchops slowly simmering in tomatoes, garlic, onion, wine and Italian seasonings will have your kitchen smelling wonderful and your family's mouths watering. The chops are so moist and tender that you can cut them with your fork. It makes for a perfect weeknight family meal, the church pot-luck dinner, or a relaxed dinner party. One taste, and everyone is sure to come back for seconds.
- 6 lean pork chops (1-inch thick)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin rings
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash chops and pat dry with paper towels. Trim excess fat from meat.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Coat the pork chops in a mixture of flour, salt, garlic and onion powders, and Parmesan cheese. Lightly brown on both sides in the heated oil (YOUR PORKCHOPS SHOULD NOT BE COMPLETELY COOKED); drain chops on paper towels.
- Place the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in the bottom of your crock-pot; add the chops by laying them on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, whole tomatoes, wine or sherry, lemon juice, salt and spices (except the bay leaves). Give a good stir.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture over the pork chops. Add bay leaves to crock-pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 - 9 hours (HIGH: 4 to 5 hours).
- 30 minutes before the cooking time is up, turn crock-pot to HIGH and arrange the green and yellow pepper rings on top of the pork chops. Cover and continue cooking for the last 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, top with mozzarella cheese. Serve with your favorite hot cooked pasta and a freshly tossed garden salad. Don't forget the warm and crusty Italian bread to dip into the delicious tomato sauce.
This was excellent!!! Froze leftovers and reheated for dinner in a pinch one night. Will keep this recipe to make over and over. Thanks for posting!!!