Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
So delicious, tender and EASY to make, this yummy roast beef dinner will greet you after a hard day at work! The wonderful gravy is best served over mashed potatoes or rice.
- 5 lbs roast (frozen)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- Place frozen roast beef in crock pot.
- Empty two cans of cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms and onion soup mix on top and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Coarsely chop onion and place on top and around roast.
- Cover with lid and place on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Enjoy!
As long as you make sure the entire pot is heated above 140 for 15 min (beef cook temp is really only 135 but potatoes are 140) you should be ok. (It's when cooling food you have to be careful... Especially if it's cooked first, but "ready to eat" cold. Like guspacho soup or Chicken (for chicken salad). Heat kills bacteria, medium temp range grows it, freezing hinders growth and spread but; sometimes preserves bacteria and sometimes kills it. chili in some restaurants is actually made from week old hotdog and hamburger extras. Recooking the food will kill the bacteria and reset the shelf life of the old meats.
The USDA says that cooking beef from frozen is OK, but NEVER in a crock pot. The temp is so low that the cold of the meat prevents it from getting to a safe temperature fast enough to prevent food poisoning.
This was delicious, it was very easy and came out moist and tender. I only had a 3lb. roast so just used 1 can of soup, I also added about 3 cloves of garlic rustically chopped and about 1/4c. of cream sherry. The gravy was delicous and I rubbed the soup mix on the roast and it gave it a great flavor. Thank you for this delicious and easy recipe, it is a keeper.