Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
So delicious, tender and EASY to make, this yummy roast beef dinner will greet you after a hard day at work! The wonderful gravy is best served over mashed potatoes or rice.
- 5 lbs roast (frozen)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- Place frozen roast beef in crock pot.
- Empty two cans of cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms and onion soup mix on top and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Coarsely chop onion and place on top and around roast.
- Cover with lid and place on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Enjoy!
The USDA says that cooking beef from frozen is OK, but NEVER in a crock pot. The temp is so low that the cold of the meat prevents it from getting to a safe temperature fast enough to prevent food poisoning.
This was delicious, it was very easy and came out moist and tender. I only had a 3lb. roast so just used 1 can of soup, I also added about 3 cloves of garlic rustically chopped and about 1/4c. of cream sherry. The gravy was delicous and I rubbed the soup mix on the roast and it gave it a great flavor. Thank you for this delicious and easy recipe, it is a keeper.
I did something very similar to this but with Coca-cola, which I kept reading on other recipe sites. And my roast was not frozen. I did sliced fresh mushrooms first on the bottom and sides, then some sliced onions. Then the roast. Then poured Coke, then onion soup mix, then a large can of cream of mushroom soup. I did it 2 hours on high then 4 more on low. Could have cooked even longer but still very good. Even better the next day! I think sliced green pepper would be great added too. Experiment...it's fun!