Recipe by Sackville
This recipe comes from a cookbook I bought in Poland. I haven't tried it but posted it by request.
Top Review by mabers
I don't know from Kapusta, but this was really good! I used reg. green cabbage.....was confused like another reviewer about what to do with the 2nd butter/flour, so I winged it.....mixed it with the vinegar before adding to cabbage. That seemed to work fine.
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs savoy cabbage or 2 lbs green cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, cabbage and carrot.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet and saute the onion over a medium heat until tender.
- Stir the onion into the cabbage mixture and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the onion has been added in, melt the remaining butter in the empty skillet and add the flour, stirring over a medium heat until the flour goes golden brown.
- Take 1/2 cup of the broth out of the pot with the cabbage and stir it in with the flour mixture, then return the flour/broth to the pot with the cabbage.
- Stir the lemon juice or vinegar into the cabbage.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Serve hot.