Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
Delicious and sophisticated comfort food! This is wonderful spooned on top of hot buttery mashed potatoes, or on a crusty sandwich roll with lots of melted cheese. Warm up and enjoy on a chilly night!
Top Review by Everything Sweet
This was very easy to make. I didn't have brandy so I used Port. The gravy had a nice hearty flavor. My roast ended up being dry, but after I shredded it and let it sit in the juices, it was just fine!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 1⁄2 cup good brandy (I used E & J)
- 2 cups beef stock (or more)
- 2 cups dry red wine (or more)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the roast on all sides in butter and oil.
- Pour in brandy, beef stock and half of the wine.
- Cover and simmer in a large pan on the stovetop for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the rest of the wine as needed so there is always some liquid in the pan; or, add more stock.
- Let cool, then shred, add salt and pepper to taste, and return to the cooking liquid.
- Reheat for hot beef sandwiches or to accompany mashed potatoes.