Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My wife's favorite dish of all time. If you like the appetizer at Roy's, you'll love this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 4 (10 ounce) beef short ribs (boneless is fine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 cup whole grain mustard
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a roasting pan over medium heat.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Lightly dredge in flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Sear all sides of short ribs until golden brown.
- Add carrots, onions and celery to roasting pan and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine.
- Add the bay leaves, beef stock and peppercorns.
- Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil and bake until ribs are knife-tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- While cooking, in a medium bowl, mix together all the mustard, honey, white wine, garlic and basil. This is the glaze that will be used later.
- Once cooked, remove short ribs from liquid and set aside to cool. Cut and trim short ribs to desired size.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.
- Brush short ribs well with the glaze and grill briefly to set the glaze.
This dish was great. I almost skipped the bbq step but am glad I didn't.