Recipe by Wildflour
Thyme and pepper pastry filled with tender beef and lots of veggies!
Top Review by invictus
This is very good. The pastry really takes it to the next level. There was so much filling that I decided to use a 13x9 pan and put a top crust only on this pot pie. It filled up the whole pan! We ate half the first night and last night we had leftovers and while the pie was a bit drier the second night it was just as good. This is going in my favorites file!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thick-cut round steaks, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes, fat trimmed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Johnnie's)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed with fingers
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes, not small ones
- 1 cup sliced fresh baby carrots, measure after slicing
- 1 (7 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 2 cups beef gravy, homemade or packet kind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, place flour, butter, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Mix for a few seconds.
- Then slowly add ice water, pulsing, til mixture forms into a ball.
- Divide dough in half, wrap each tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in fridge.
- For filling:.
- Place first 9 ingredients into pressure cooker. Place on lid.
- Heat over medium heat til regulator starts rocking.
- Adjust heat to a gentle rock, and cook for 15 minutes. Let pressure drop on it's own accord. (*Can also simmer in a pot for 45 minutes *or til tender, if desired to do it that way.).
- Meanwhile, cut up potatoes and carrots and boil til tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Make 2 cups brown gravy and pour into large bowl.
- Add potatoes, carrots and rest of vegetables.
- Carefully open pressure cooker when safe, drain meat and onion, and add to gravy/veggie mixture.
- Stir in a 1/4 teaspoons each of garlic powder and pepper *or to taste.
- Roll out 1 ball of chilled pastry to fit a 9" deepdish pie shell and place into dish.
- Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out other ball of dough and cover pie, sealing edges well.
- *You can do a lattice top, or cut slits to vent in solid top.
- Brush top and edge with milk, sprinkle with pepper and dried thyme. Just a light sprinkling of each.
- Bake in 400º oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool 20-30 minutes before slicing.