Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Thyme and pepper pastry filled with tender beef and lots of veggies!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thick-cut round steaks, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes, fat trimmed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Johnnie's)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed with fingers
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes, not small ones
- 1 cup sliced fresh baby carrots, measure after slicing
- 1 (7 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 2 cups beef gravy, homemade or packet kind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In food processor, place flour, butter, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Mix for a few seconds.
- Then slowly add ice water, pulsing, til mixture forms into a ball.
- Divide dough in half, wrap each tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in fridge.
- For filling:.
- Place first 9 ingredients into pressure cooker. Place on lid.
- Heat over medium heat til regulator starts rocking.
- Adjust heat to a gentle rock, and cook for 15 minutes. Let pressure drop on it's own accord. (*Can also simmer in a pot for 45 minutes *or til tender, if desired to do it that way.).
- Meanwhile, cut up potatoes and carrots and boil til tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Make 2 cups brown gravy and pour into large bowl.
- Add potatoes, carrots and rest of vegetables.
- Carefully open pressure cooker when safe, drain meat and onion, and add to gravy/veggie mixture.
- Stir in a 1/4 teaspoons each of garlic powder and pepper *or to taste.
- Roll out 1 ball of chilled pastry to fit a 9" deepdish pie shell and place into dish.
- Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out other ball of dough and cover pie, sealing edges well.
- *You can do a lattice top, or cut slits to vent in solid top.
- Brush top and edge with milk, sprinkle with pepper and dried thyme. Just a light sprinkling of each.
- Bake in 400º oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool 20-30 minutes before slicing.
This is very good. The pastry really takes it to the next level. There was so much filling that I decided to use a 13x9 pan and put a top crust only on this pot pie. It filled up the whole pan! We ate half the first night and last night we had leftovers and while the pie was a bit drier the second night it was just as good. This is going in my favorites file!
This crust is incredible, the second time I made it I used rosemary too and WOW! This is my go to crust for all my pot pies changing herbs to what ever I am feeling at the moment even adding some garlic or onion powder now and then. Thank you, Wildflour, for making me look like a rock star.
Simply delicious!! We really enjoyed this and the leftovers were great too!! Thank you for another great recipe!!