Elie de Combys's Note:
This is a highly modified version of Old Fashioned Ginger Cakes by Rachel-Snachel . It is interesting because it uses no milk or eggs, and is devoid of refined sugar. This recipe's flavours are equilibrated for Blackstrap molasses, if you use regular molasses you might have to reduce the spices. This is a very nutritious, flavorful and comforting recipe on cold winter nights.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I use bread flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ginger (ground)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (ground seeds)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (cracked or coarsely ground)
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons oil (I like organic canola for it's omega 3 and or or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I highly recommend pure vanilla extract, not artificial which leaves a bothering aftertaste)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F and have a large cookie sheet ready, greased or lined with parchment paper (if not a non-stick sheet).
- 2In a small saucepan, bring the water and the raisins to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Take off the stove and let cool. (You can put the pot in a sink with a couple inches of cold water to hasten the process.).
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- 4Then, in a large bowl, put the molasses and the oil, and mix until smooth.
- 5Add the vanilla, and the cooled water and raisins, and stir a couple times.
- 6Next, you put the flour in the molasses and prepare to act quickly : if you don't, your cookies will delfate.
- 7Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, stir and stop as soon as it is well mixed.
- 8Then, drop the batter by tablespoonfuls on the cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart from eachother.
- 9Cook for 10-12 minutes, they will be soft when you get them out of the oven, but when cooled they will have a nice crisp on the outside and a soft cakelike texture on the inside.
- 10You may have enough dough to make a second batch.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tender and Spicy Molasses Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.6
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 535.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 46.1 g
- Protein 10.1 g