1/3 Photos of Tender and Flavorful Pot Roast
8 hrs 10 mins
This is better than mom's!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 -6 carrots
- 3 -4 potatoes
- horseradish sauce, if desired
- 1Assemble all ingredients except carrots, potatoes and horseradish. Be sure to use a good wine that you would drink.
- 2Mince garlic and chop onion into quarters. Choose a pan that is large enough for roast to lie flat and that has a tight fitting lid.
- 3Pat meat dry and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Rub flour into meat. (If using regular table salt, use even less.).
- 4Sear in oil over medium-high heat until browned on all edges.
- 5Add remaining ingredients except the carrots, potatoes and horseradish. If not enough liquid to cover roast, add water (or more wine).
- 6Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low (more than simmer) and cook for 8 hours, or until the whole roast is falling apart.
- 7The secret to tender pot roast is to cook it long enough, so if it's not tender yet, that means it's not done yet.
- 8If you don't have enough liquid to cover the roast, you'll have to flip the roast over every hour or so.
- 9Add carrots and potatoes the last hour. Peel them and chop to desired size.
- 10Serve with horseradish sauce and au jus (broth from pan).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tender and Flavorful Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.0
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 829.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g