Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is from today's "Thursday" magazine and was submitted by Rani Johny!
- 1 kg chicken, cleaned and cut into medium size pcs
- 5 onions, sliced lengthwise
- 10 cloves garlic
- 6 green chilies
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (freshly ground)
- 6 dried red chilies
- 1 piece tamarind pulp, the size of a gooseberry
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup oil
- 50 g ginger, freshly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Make a fine paste of dry red chillies, corriander powder and tamarind by adding a little water.
- Extract juice from the ginger and keep aside.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in lemon juice, pepper and salt for 1 hour.
- Heat half a cup of oil in a skillet.
- Add onions, green chillies (chopped) and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn golden brown and the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in another skillet, take the above prepared fine paste, tomato sauce and ginger juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked chicken to this gravy.
- Boil well.
- Garnish with fresh corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice/rotis/naan/parathas/bread!
- Oh dont forget to keep 10 napkins on hand per person, coz this is so spicy, your going to need'em.