Recipe by kelly in TO
Heidi Swanson, Super Natural Cooking (Amazing book)
Top Review by LoveGoodFood
I found this on the internet site 101cookbooks.com. I really enjoy this recipe. It makes a good meatless entree or side dish. I have made this many times now. I often eat it for lunch. It is good with and without the tahini dressing. I make instant brown rice while I am making the rest of the dish. It comes together very quickly. I have yet to toast the almond slivers. It is good regardless.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch segments
- 3 cups pre- cooked brown rice
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- fine grain sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dressing by whisking together the garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Add the hot water to thin a bit and then the salt. Set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl the oil around to coat the pan, then add the chickpeas and sprinkling of salt. Let the beans saute there for about 5 minutes. They will hiss and pop over high heat so be careful.
- Add the garlic and onions. Stir for a minute. Stir in the asparagus with another pinch or two of salt, cover with a lid for 1 - 2 minutes to steam, do not overcook.
- Uncover and stir in the rice and almond slivers, reserving a few almonds for garnish.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Serve with a few tablespoons of the tahini dressing.