Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Muffins made healthy with ten-grain pancake mix.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups ten-grain pancake mix
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup wild blueberries
- Wash zucchini and remove ends. Shred it using the largest holes on the grater.
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix with spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
- Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Like the other reviewer, I made these as bars instead of muffins. I used regular whole wheat pancake mix and because I used 2 cups of zucchini, I added 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal so it wouldn't alter the texture. I sprinkled some extra brown sugar over the top before baking to give a sweet hint of crust. These are really fantastic!
THANK YOU so much for this wonderful recipe. I LOVE IT!!!! I did make a couple of minor adjustments to lower calories: 1. used 3 egg whites instead of whole eggs 2. used 1/2 cup of granular splenda & 1/4 cup of organic sucant for the brown sugar. I used 1 whole cup of blueberries and 1 cup of ten-grain cereal for half the pancake mix. The batter was VERY stiff but I put it in the pan anyway (by the way, I used a 9X11 pan) and it turned out wonderful. The flavor is awesome. I calculated the calories for my changes and for 12 pieces there are just under 100 calories each. Great for grab and go breakfast or for an afternoon snack. It's hard to believe any thing this healthy can taste sooooo good! I highly recommend. Update Dec.12: I made this recipe again for the 3rd time now, and today subbed cranberries for the blueberries, I loved it. A nice contrast of the tart cranberries to the sweet muffin. I just can't thank you enough for this recipe, I eat one of these muffins EVERY morning!