Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
These are good if you are having friends over for a drink.. Best cooked straight away. They are great served with sweet chili sauce, or a garlic sauce. Are great for a main meal.
- 1 kg green prawns (remove shells,leave tails on)
- 1 cup chilled soda water (or plain water)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg yolk
- oil (for deep frying)
- Combine soda water and egg yolk in a large bowl.
- Then add the flours and baking soda.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk mixture until just combine but still lumpy.
- Dip the prawns in the mixture, coating well .
- Cook in hot oil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Place prawns on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- serve on there own or with a dipping sauce or serve as a meal with chips(fries) and salad.
great recipe but the batter was to watery had to add more flour. Thanks so much for the recipe.
Made this recipe as indicated, & served it with a purchased sweet chili sauce, which was very good! Another time, though, I'd like to make the sauce from one of the handful of recipes here on Zaar! Thanks much for the VERY, VERY TASTY PRAWNS, & a recipe worth keeping! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted Joeys in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]