Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tempura, the technique of cooking vegetables quickly in a light crispy batter, originated in the Far East. Whether you eat a formal meal with separate courses, or whether you follow the example of many vegetarian and combine several dishes at the same time, something to start with is always welcome in our house.
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup oil, sunflower for deep frying
- 1 cup Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 sprigs watercress, fresh
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop the stalks finely. Mix with the marinade ingredients; pour this mixture over the mushroom caps and leave for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare the batter by beating together the egg white and flour, then adding the water gradually, still beating, until the batter has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a deep skillet.
- Drain the mushrooms, dip them in batter and deep fry, about 6 at a time, for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm while cooking the remaining mushrooms.
- Serve immediately on a bed of shredded Chinese celery cabbage garnished with watercress.