This batter can be used for fish, shrimp or fresh vegetables such as onion rings, mushrooms, eggplant, sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, asparagus spears or whatever your heart desires.
- Stir together flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine ice water or beer and egg yolk, beating with a fork or whisk until frothy.
- Add all at once to dry ingredients.
- Slowly stir just until moistened; DO NOT over stir,a few lumps should remain.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Use batter immediately.
- Heat oil or shortening to 400°F.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Dip fish, shrimp or vegetables into batter, swirling to coat.
- Fry a few pieces at a time 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Note: Make sure your vegetables are very very dry so the batter will stick better.