Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Taste of Home Magazine -- Modified recipe by Amy Siegel, Clifton, NJ. NOTE: The 1/2 cup maple syrup amount sounds like a LOT to me -- use your judgement and adjust to suite your family's taste!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium parsnips (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger (minced)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 green onions (sliced for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts (for garnish ~ chopped)
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat; brown chicken on both sides.
- Place vegetables into a 4-quart slow cooker; add chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine preserves, maple syrup, Teriyaki sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours til chicken is tender. Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter to keep warm.
- Transfer cooking liquid to a small saucepan ~ skim fat ~ bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl or glass, combine water and cornstarch until smooth. Gradually pour into hot liquid, stirring briskly for about 2 minutes til thickened.
- Serve sauce with chicken and vegetables, and hot cooked rice, if desired.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, and roasted peanuts.