1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
A vegan version of the classic Provencal chicken dish. Tofu can be used instead of tempeh if need be.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb tempeh, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 leeks, white and tenser green parts,julienned
- 1 lb mixed exotic mushroom, sliced (such as cremini, portobello, Shiitake, and oyster)
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 40 cloves very fresh garlic, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1/4 cup celery leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1In a wide, heavy saute pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- 2Add the tempeh and saute until golden brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Add the wine and soy sauce, raise the heat, and bring to a boil.
- 4Cook until the liquid is reduced to half its original volume.
- 5Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- 6Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- 7Add the leeks and mushrooms and saute, stirring and tossing until the vegetables are lightly caramelized.
- 8Stir in the flour and continue to cook until the flour smells toasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- 9Add the stock and garlic.
- 10Make a bouquet garni by tying together with kitchen twine or wrapping in cheesecloth the thyme, parsley, and celery leaves.
- 11Add the bouquet garni and bring the stock to a boil.
- 12With a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan.
- 13Reduce the heat to low and add the tempeh with any juices that have collected in the bowl.
- 14Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- 15Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the liquid thickens into a sauce.
- 16Remove the bouquet garni.
- 17Season with salt and pepper to taste,sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
Browse Our Top Tempeh Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tempeh Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tempeh with 40 cloves of garlic
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 535.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: