Recipe by Missy Wombat
A vegan version of the classic Provencal chicken dish. Tofu can be used instead of tempeh if need be.
Top Review by yogi
Yummy! I really didn't miss the chicken at all. This sort of reminded me of my Thanksgiving stuffing in it's flavor, but more sophisticated. I used tofu cubes, frozen, defrosted and squoze (is that a word?) the excess liquid out. Also skipped the bouquet garni and just dumped some thyme, parsley and celery leaves in... sorry! But just because I was too lazy to do that didn't cause any harm. I absolutely love this dish.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb tempeh, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 leeks, white and tenser green parts,julienned
- 1 lb mixed exotic mushroom, sliced (such as cremini, portobello, Shiitake, and oyster)
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 1⁄2 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 40 cloves very fresh garlic, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wide, heavy saute pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the tempeh and saute until golden brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and soy sauce, raise the heat, and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced to half its original volume.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the leeks and mushrooms and saute, stirring and tossing until the vegetables are lightly caramelized.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook until the flour smells toasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the stock and garlic.
- Make a bouquet garni by tying together with kitchen twine or wrapping in cheesecloth the thyme, parsley, and celery leaves.
- Add the bouquet garni and bring the stock to a boil.
- With a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the tempeh with any juices that have collected in the bowl.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the liquid thickens into a sauce.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste,sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.