Recipe by FoodandBrewDood
Tempeh and sweet potatoes in in coconut curry sauce served over over rice. From "Cooking Light". Curry can be simplified using a curry paste or even curry powder.
Top Review by BostonChefSox
Fantastic recipe! This is a really great way to use Tempeh and the sweet potatoes are a nice addition. I like mine a little creamier than this so I add a bit more coconut milk. The tamarind is nice, but I will often use an orange or tangerine if its not handy.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons tamarind pulp
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 8 ounces organic tempeh, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook 2 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tamarind or citrus fruit; cook 2 minutes, stirring to break up tamarind.
- Add ginger and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon); cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, potato, water, milk, and tempeh; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; stir in lime juice and soy sauce. Simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.