Recipe by Bergy
A meal in one pan and very good. This recipe is from "The Tempeh Cook book". Tempeh is a soy product sometimes combined with wild rice or other grains. There are several different kinds. Tempeh has more texture than tofu, you can actually see the soy beans. For Vegetarians sub Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce for regular and for vegan leave out the honey.
Top Review by Leither
This was the first time I had cooked with Tempeh and I love Japanese food so this recipe caught my eye. I liked the taste/textures of the dish a lot. I substituted white cabbage for cauliflower, left out the celery and used cornflour instead of arrowroot. Although it says a meal in one pan I found I used a few as ingredients had to be cooked in batches. Instructions got a little sketchy towards the end, when to add the broccoli,carrot,cauliflower back to the dish? Overall good flavours and good for you.
- 8 ounces tempeh, steamed 10 minutes, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, cut in thin wedges
- 1 large carrot, cut into match sticks
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cauliflower, thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons oil (additional)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the steamed tempeh in the marinade and stir once in a while to coat all of the tempeh.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and add carrots, broccoli& cauliflower, boil for 1 minute only, Remove veggies immediately, reserve stock for sauce.
- Drain tempeh, adding any left over marinade to the stock.
- Heat wok or skillet add 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry tempeh uintil browned remove to a bowl.
- Heat pan add remaining 2 tbsp oil.
- Stir fry onions& peppers for a few minutes add celery cook 2 minutes.
- Pour liquid stock into the pan, bring to a simmer, add 2 tbs tamari.
- Add tempeh,carrots,broccoli & cauliflower stir until heated. Do not over cook the vegetables should still be crisp.
- Serve with brown rice (the sauce will be thin).