Recipe by Sharon123
With a smoky sweet flavor that reminds one of bacon, you will enjoy this! A great little gem of a recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook by Deborah Madison.
Top Review by Rebeckadabean
This was yummy and so easy to make which wins it points in my book. The flavor is good and even my non-veg. hubby & our 14-month old daughter enjoyed it and asked for more. We'll definitely make it again, it's a good weeknight meal when you don't feel like a big elaborate production. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 (8 -10 ounce) package tempeh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or put through press)
- 2 onions, slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 thin slices ginger
- 1 whole clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle pepper, pureed (or a few drops liquid smoke)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (thin, not thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the tempeh crosswise into thin strips.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small skillet. Bring to a boil and add the tempeh. Simmer slowly, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, and continue cooking until all liquid has been absorbed.
- At this point the tempeh will begin to fry in the oil. Cook until nicely glazed and browned, about 5 minutes.