Recipe by Staceyjill
I had a very similar meal at the Watercourse in Denver when I was a vegan. I found the recipe on the web somewhere a couple of years ago. Even meat lovers enjoy this dish. (As this is my first recipe I hope all goes well for those who try it.)
Top Review by erica.burt
I also substituted tamari with soy sauce, didn't have mirin or lemon juice. I didn't have mushrooms or wine and I didn't use the vegetable broth... however, this was really amazing. I did all the rest and fed it to my husband who quite normally hates tempeh. He absolutely loved it.
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (16 ounce) packages tempeh (makes about 4 slices)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (whatever type you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 ounces sweet white wine
- 6 ounces vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- First, poach the tempeh slices in the marinade for about 20 minutes and then plop them into a flour-salt-pepper mix and brown each side in the olive oil to make a sort of roux.
- Now, add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and rosemary to saute for about two minutes.
- Add wine and reduce by one half.
- Add veggie stock and lemon juice, simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with parsley and voila.
- This is very nice with horseradish mashed potatoes.