Recipe by VegBear
A great sausage crumble for making patties or as a layer in lasagne! Smokey and flavorful!
- 1 (10 ounce) package tempeh, broken into 4-5 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 1 inch gingerroot, sliced
- 1 black cardamom pod, crushed
- 3 smoked tea bags (either lapsang souchong or russian caravan)
- 1 -2 cup fresh water
- mixed spice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, small diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a pot with the tempeh, using just enough water to cover.
- Bring this to a boil, lower to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, removing the teabags after 4 minutes.
- In a dry pot toast the fennel and peppercorns, then grind them. In a medium sized bowl combine with the other herbs and garlic.
- Drain the tempeh, and when cool enough to handle crumble and mix gently with the spices.
- In a medium sized cast-iron skillet heat the olive oil and cook the onions until tender.
- Add the tempeh mixture and cook until browned and crispy at the edges.