Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 226.79 g tempeh
- 44.37 ml mayonnaise
- 9.85 ml prepared mustard
- 2 green onions, chopped,including green tops
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 14.79 ml pickle relish
- 1.23 ml salt
- 12 slice whole wheat bread
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slice tomatoes
- Steam the tempeh over boiling water for 20 minutes, cool.
- Grate the cooled tempeh and mix it with the nayonaise, mustard, onions, celery, pickle relish, and salt.
- Cover and chill if time allows.
- Serve on whole wheat bread with lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
My vegetarian daughter loves tempeh salad sandwiches - she prefers them to egg salad. This is a great option for packing a vegetarian lunch. Tempeh supplies a lot of protein and fiber in addition to being delicious. I don't grate the tempeh, just mash it (crumble it) with a fork. I generally poach it in water with soy sauce and garlic rather than steaming it. Anyone would like these, not just vegetarians!