Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Veggie Times 2007. They use soy tempeh. The one I specified is my personal choice. I just like it better.
- Combine first five ingredients [to water] over medium heat then add tempeh and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes. Remove heat, cover and let cool.
- Make the Dressing by combining ingredients.
- Toast half the bread. Drain tempeh and remove all but tempeh slices. Place 3 slices of tempeh on slice of untoasted bread. Top with cheese. Broil or toast 3 to 5 minutes. Cheese should melt.
- Top with 1/4 cup of kraut on each 'sandwich'. Spread set aside bread with dressing. Top sandwiches. Slice in half on diagonal.
- Serve with a LARGE deli pickle sliced in quarters lenghtwise and some chips.
I loved this! I did find the dressing too runny (due to the vegan mayo) so I added about 1T of vegan sour cream which thickened it up nicely. We had the leftovers on baked potatoes instead of in a sandwich and it was absolutely delightful. I will certainly make this recipe again. . . soon! That tempeh is so freaking good!!! UPDATE: I made this recipe again today and served the sandwiches open (broiling for a minute to melt the cheese on top. I found it to be a bit salty this time, so next time I will use 1/2 the Braggs and see if that tames it down. And this time for the dressing I added extra relish and a bunch of horseradish for a kick.
I was completely amazed at how great these turned out. I was never a traditional Reuben-fan, so I'm not so great for real-deal rating but Josh said they were just about spot-on! Followed the directions to the T - thank you so much!