Recipe by blucoat
You can also prepare these in a skillet. This recipe is from "Cooking Light Magazine". The tempeh needs to be marinated for at least 30 minutes (longer is better).
Top Review by rolliepolie
Awesome recipe! The flavors were amazing. Finally a way to make tempeh more interesting :)
I didn't have pineapple juice handy so just used fresh pineapple chunks and added some hotsauce (I like it spicy). Its great over a salad as well instead of tortillas.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefive-grain tempeh
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups vertically sliced onions (1/2-inch slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups slice green bell peppers (1/2-inch-thick slices)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tempeh in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 6 strips. Place tempeh in a shallow dish. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Pour pineapple juice mixture over tempeh. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly coat onion and bell pepper with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Arrange onion mixture in a wire grilling basket coated with cooking spray. Place grilling basket on grill rack; grill 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove the tempeh from marinade, reserving marinade. Place tempeh on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 3 tempeh pieces, 1/2 cup onion mixture, and 1 tablespoon salsa down center of each tortilla; roll up.