Chef #208121's Note:
From the Holiday Vegetarian Times Issue 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups pinot noir wine
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup water
- chopped parsley, garnish
- 1Combine wine, tempeh, onion, carrot, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, herbes de provence, and bay in large bowl. Cover refrigerate for an hour.
- 2Strain and reserve the wine.
- 3Heat remaining oil in dutch oven over medium high heat add tempeh and vegetables and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tempeh is browned on all sides.
- 4Add vinegar and quickly stir to coat evenly. Add tomato paste and cook one minute.
- 5Stir in red wine marinade, scrape bottom of pot to release stuck brown bits.
- 6Reduce heat to medium low and cover simmering for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir occasionally.
- 7Add water if too dry before done.
- 8Add mushrooms and 3/4 cup water and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- 9Remove bay, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Tempeh Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tempeh Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.1
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 88.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence