- 2 cups pinot noir wine
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup water
- chopped parsley, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine wine, tempeh, onion, carrot, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, herbes de provence, and bay in large bowl. Cover refrigerate for an hour.
- Strain and reserve the wine.
- Heat remaining oil in dutch oven over medium high heat add tempeh and vegetables and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tempeh is browned on all sides.
- Add vinegar and quickly stir to coat evenly. Add tomato paste and cook one minute.
- Stir in red wine marinade, scrape bottom of pot to release stuck brown bits.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover simmering for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add water if too dry before done.
- Add mushrooms and 3/4 cup water and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve over rice.