Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
posting for safe-keeping. From Vegan with a Vengeance.
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 kg tempeh
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- To make the marinade, combine the Bragg Liquid Aminos (tamari or soy sauce), apple cider vinegar, tomato paste and liquid smoke in a wide, shallow bowl. Mix with a fork until the paste is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into thin strips (less that 1/4-inch thick) lengthwise. You should be able to get about 12 strips.
- Rub the strips with the crushed garlic, then toss the garlic cloves into the marinade.
- Submerge the tempeh strips in the marinade and let sit, for at least an hour up to overnight.
- After marinating, discard the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the tempeh strips and cook for 4 minute on one side; the bottom should be nicely browned.
- Flip the strips over and pour the remainder of the marinade over them; if there isn't much marinade left add a splash of water.
- Cover and let cook for 3 more minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Uncover and check for doneness; if necessary, keep cooking uncovered until all sides are nicely browned.
- Remove from heat and serve.