Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sausage without the meat! A good alternative for vegetarians/vegans or just a change of pace for us meat-eaters. The packaged frozen stuff has so much salt and perservatives; not to mention the price...Eeek! I would imagine that you could freeze these after frying them up and have them on-hand just like the ones you get in the freezer case at the store. From Delicious Living magazine.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus
- additional vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1 small russet potato, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Form mixture into 8 3/4" thick patties.
- Heat a thin layer of oil for pan-frying in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook sausage patties over medium heat on both sides until browned.
- Serve with eggs, waffles or other breakfast food.