Time does not include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 3 1/2 cups milk in a saucepan and heat to medium.
- 2Cook, stirring occasionally, until small bubbles appear on the sides.
- 3Combine in a bowl with the 2 cups coconut and stir to blend.
- 4Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Place in a blender (use batches if necessary) and whiz for 10-20 seconds.
- 5Strain, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 6Measure the liquid and add enough milk to make a total of 3 1/2 cups.
- 7Whisk the cornstarch with 1/2 cup milk. Place the coconut milk in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- 8Stir in the salt and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- 9Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- 10Stir in the cinnamon or orange blossom water and turn off heat.
- 11Rinse 8 custard cups, but don't dry them. Pour the mixture into the custard cups. Cool, then chill. This can be done up to two days in advance.
- 12Just before serving, toast the 2 tbsp coconut in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, shaking and stirring until it browns. Sprinkle over the tops of the tembleque and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tembleque (Puerto Rican Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.1
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 88.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g