Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This desert is typically served during Christmas time. Personally, I never wait that long to have this yummy coco-nutty desert.
- In a saucepan dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup coconut milk.
- Once dissolved add the rest of the coconut milk, sugar, and salt.
- Cook at medium-high heat stirring constantly!
- As it thickens, lower heat until it boils thick.
- Pour right away into wet molds, pans or cups.
- Cool and then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Carefully separate the tembleque from the mold using a knife.
- Turn it over unto a dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
I give this 10 stars for flavor, but 1 star for texture. It was so yummy but I just couldn't get past the texture. There has to be a way to get that cornstarch to not lump up...
UPDATE: I put all ingredients in my stand mixer and mixed at top speed for 2 minutes then put in saucepan and heated to boiling stirring constantly. It takes very little time to thicken perfectly and NO LUMPS!! :-)
I'd definitely make this again because I really enjoyed the powerful coconut flavor (most tembleques call for using 1 can coconut milk + 2 cups regular milk) and the thick texture, but it was too sweet for me. Next time I'll cut the sugar to maybe 1/4 cup or less.
Great flavor, but mine came out a little lumpy. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Maybe next time I will add the cornstarch gradually. I did find some of the instructions to be a bit vague, particularly "As it thickens, lower heat until it boils thick." Since I've never made anything like this before, I was unsure how much to lower the heat and how thick it should be. I will definitely try again, though, because it was still yummy.