Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've got no idea why this is so-called. A good old South African standby from years ago.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg.
- Sieve in flour, salt, ginger and bicarb.
- Beat to a soft consistency with half the milk.
- Add to jam to other half of milk and beat well into a dough.
- Mix 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of sugar and a little vanilla essence.
- Pour over dough placed in a deep serving dish.
- Bake in a 350 C oven for about 30 minutes.